RE: Trailors

Tom, Dan, Epp,
  From my experience with both types, Tom's absolutely right.  My '77 had the hydraulic type, which I removed in a brake line replacement project, but then replaced it with the electric/plumb weight type.  I didn't relize there was a plumb weight that varied the amount of braking, I just thought it was it was a constant level of braking.  What you say makes more sense, living is learning.;)
---
Layda,
Tark
'77 Terra 345/T19/D20
   Survivor of '98 Scout Nationals

"there are two kinds of electric (or electronic)
brake controllers. The kind that actaully hooks into your brake hydraulic
lines and uses the pressure there for reference (the best he tells me).

And the kind that creates a trailer brake signal in proportion to how fast
your stopping as measured by a plumb weight inside of it (decelerometer of
sorts).

The later kind is now common due to the prevelance of ABS brakes and their
requirement that nothing "invade" their hydraulic system like the first
type would.

I'm sure someone will straighten me out if I'm wrong.

Tom H."