Re: Trailers

In a brilliant stroke of genius, "Tom Harais" <tjhemh@domain.elided> blurted
out:

>I seem to remember (could be dead wrong) that the last time I checked an
>electric trailer brake operator it was not the voltage but amperage that
>varied with the brake application in the tow vehicle. The electric trailer
>brakes are supposed to respond in proportion and the electric controller
>has an adjustment to vary the proportional range - i.e. when the trailer's
>brakes start to apply in relation to the tow vehicle's brakes.

Tommy,

On my Traveler, I have one of the older Kelsy-Hayes hydraulically actuated
brake controllers, and it varies the voltage to the trailer brakes.  It
simply has an internal coil resistor to vary the output voltage up to full
vehicle system voltage.

The resistance of the trailer brake electromagnets keeps the amperage
flowing through the trailer brake controller down to surprisingly low
levels.

>I'm sure someone will straighten me out if I'm wrong.

On this list??? <grin>

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    |
Conservative Libertarian      |
Life Member of the NRA        |        All the GOOD things in life
WA Arms Collectors            |              are DANGEROUS!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |
www.halcyon.com/jlandry/      |