Re: Trailers

Dan, Epp:

I seem to remember (could be dead wrong) that the last time I checked an
electric trailer brake operator it was not the voltage but amperage that
varied with the brake application in the tow vehicle. The electric trailer
brakes are supposed to respond in proportion and the electric controller
has an adjustment to vary the proportional range - i.e. when the trailer's
brakes start to apply in relation to the tow vehicle's brakes.

Hofstetter will tell you there are two kinds of electric (or electronic)
brake controllers. The kind that actaully hooks into your brake hydraulic
lines and uses the pressure there for reference (the best he tells me).

And the kind that creates a trailer brake signal in proportion to how fast
your stopping as measured by a plumb weight inside of it (decelerometer of
sorts).

The later kind is now common due to the prevelance of ABS brakes and their
requirement that nothing "invade" their hydraulic system like the first
type would.

I'm sure someone will straighten me out if I'm wrong.

Tom H.