800 wipers

Alan asked:

>While I've got the dashboard off I need to deal with the windshield wiper
>motor problem.  In my case the problem is that the previous owner replaced
>the wiper motors for my 800 with those from an 80.  In addition to the fact
>the Scout 80 motors each have a single valve on them (instead of the
>dash-mounted valves), these wiper motors are *weak* -- no strange
>observation, I'm sure!  Does anybody have experience replacing these things
>with alternative vacuum (or better still, electric) motors that will fit
>under the dash?  If so, part numbers and any wisdom on the replacement
>procedure would be grand...

I've been working on electric wipers for my daughter's 70 800 A, I'm still
working out bugs and fine tuning the system but they work ok. Here's what I
did, the motor is from a jeep wrangler, $20 at a junk yard, the linkage i
made out of 1/4" rod, tapped on the ends for NAPA spherical rod ends
(5.99(?) each). I currently have about 90 degrees of coverage on the
driver's side, maybe 135 degrees on the pass side (it covers fully from
gasket to gasket). I've got about $50 - 60 in it, assuming my time is
valueless, and a bunch of hours "tweaking". The only thing I needed that
was a  non hand tool is I did make one weld, someone more clever might do
away with that. The hard part was securely mounting the motor and getting
the linkage bends right so it doesn't rub on the body, lot's of trial and
error.

have fun!

terry

Terry  Rust

"Man  is always and everywhere a blight on the landscape"
John Muir, founder of the Sierra Club