Re: To frustrated to think

Rik,
   A couple of questions. Do you have AIR injectors? Are they pluged, or
are the pipes still in there? Is your timming up to high?
   The AIR holes could be the culprite. If you have them plugged you
probable didn't use the IH plugs. That means you used some NTP threaded
bolts which induces a wistle or 'chirp' as IH called. This could be what
you are hearing and identifing as a tap. If you still have the pipes in
there, you may have a hole in one or more of the pipes near that side
where you have the tap comng from. This may be making a sucktion like
chirp which could sound like a lifter.
   Then the timming, I had this as an issue this summer. I am running a
little high, and when I would Stomp it I would get what I normally call
timing chain rattle coming from the engine. It also could be described
as a bad lifter as well. This turn out to be the heat and pinging
because of the heat (summer) It has since gone away.
   Not that either of these things are the answer, but; it maybe.

Dan Nees
cookiedan@domain.elided
The
"Good" 1979 Scout II