battery

Binders,
   Ugly has been giving me some problems this week starting. In the
morning when cold he just about starts, kinda a ruunnfff then grabs. If
I plug in the  heater he isn't so bad. Then monday he was dead and I had
to jump him, but; he started at work, howbeit it was a rather weak turn
over. Then yeasterday it was warm and I had no problems. BUT, today when
I got up to go to work the battery was DEAD. Even the radio stations
were erased. So after jumping him, he started right up, but; had no
charge on the ammeter. This afternoon after work, same thing, the radio
clock and presets were erased and I had to get a jump to come home. Now,
all the way to work in the morning I had the lights on and radio and fan
blower with no noticeable discharge of the battery, therefore; I assume
the truck was running off the alternator. Otherwise the lights would
have been getting noticable dimmer all the way to work. So I stopped and
bought a battery at NAPA today. I bolted it up and turned the key and
Ugly VROOMED to a start. I'm going to go out now and try him again, but;
I think it was just the battery going bad.
   What bothers me most, however; is the rapidity that the battery went
bad. This happened in under a month with very little warning.

Dan Nees
cookiedan@domain.elided
The
"Good" 1979 Scout II