T-18 vs. T-98 Transmissions

I've been digging for anything I can find to resolve this question and at
the moment, I'll have to vote for Tom M's T-98 covers on the T-18 theory.
 I can't positively prove it, but I still don't think T-98's were
installed in any Scouts for the following reasons:

1. I've never run across any references to an optional 4 speed or a deep
low 4 speed for the Scout 800 and I've had chances to read most all the
sales literature and sales data books--only recently have I even heard
anyone mention it.

2. The Scout Parts Books and Scout Service Manuals list only the 13045
(IH for T-18) as being available and you wouldn't be able to get parts
for a T-98 in a Scout through IH, which is not the way a Scout was
serviced.  If there had been another transmission, there would have had
to be a code for it so it could be ordered for the plant to install and
so that it could have been included in the price of the Scout to sell.

3.  Offering a deep low would have made no sense in 1965--rock crawling
as we know it hadn't been invented yet, 31" tires if you could find them
were monsters, and what was the weakest part of the Scout?   Up until the
flanged Model 44's came out in the 800A's, the weak link was the rear
axles.  Owner's manuals were quite explicit about not using 4-Low without
locking in the hubs, so why would IH offer the abiltiy to generate that
much torque in 2 WD and even more torque in 4W Low?  I started in
warranty administration in 1967 and would have known about the piles of
broken axle shafts if we had offered a deep low then.  The deep low T-19
was brought out for one reason in 1975--to give some off-road capability
with the single speed transfer case and by then the RA-44 had proven to
be reasonably durable although not indestuctable.

4.  Fleck's Scout, while having a T-98 cover, was built with a T-18
according to its lineset.  The lineset for Chris Des Planques Scout was
not microfilmed for some reason so I couldn't get an answer on it.

I'm sure rumors of a T-98 in the 800 will continue to surface (just like
Elvis), especially since some of the T-18's appear to have the T-98
cover, but for now, I still say all of them had the T-18.  Is anyone
familiar enough with both transmissions to provide any other
identification tips to separate the two?  Was there a close-ratio T-98?
If anyone has a lineset showing a 4 speed with a code other than 13045
(or 13044 for a 2WD) in an 800, I'd like to know about it.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]