Re: Landry's winter trailer...

In a brilliant stroke of genius, jmbrodsky@domain.elided blurted out:

>        I think a good bet would be to buy a cheap set of chains for the
>     braked axle on your trailer.  Basically if a trailer begins to
>     jack-knife in snow, you will never get it to stop and be in the ditch!
>      It'll be hard enough with the Scout, not to mention an 18FOOT!
>     trailer.

A friend I'm going hunting with recommended the very same thing (cable
chains for the trailer) and I thought it sounded like a decent idea.
Unfortunately, the two tires on each side of the trailer are spaced not
more than 1" apart.  Every sort of traction device I've ever seen does not
stay flush to the tread surface when the tire is rolling.  With the tires
so close together, the cable chain would easily hit the opposite tire.  I'm
not about to ruin a new $300.00 set of trailer tires, so traction devices
are out of the question.

>        Good luck, and you sir, certainly do have large 'huevos'.  A
>     trailer in the snow, sheesh.

Not really Joel... we simply have to learn to get over our fears of snow
and ice up in this part of the country... unlike you desert dwellers down
there. <grin>

Driving on snow and ice doesn't scare me as long as A) I'm in no hurry, B)
I have lots of fuel and C) everyone stays away from me!  The later is what
causes white knuckles... someone pulling in front of me on glare ice in
their new Expedition and then slamming on their anti-lock brakes.  In that
case, they'll have an imprint of a Scout in the rear tailgate, because you
don't try to "swerve" with a trailer... especially so on ice.

Regards,

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    |
Conservative Libertarian      |
Life Member of the NRA        |        All the GOOD things in life
WA Arms Collectors            |              are DANGEROUS!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |
www.halcyon.com/jlandry/      |