Re: More of My Electrical Info

John A. Landry wrote:

> In a brilliant stroke of genius, "Joseph M. Shaw, II"
> <MikeIIDC@domain.elided> blurted out:
>
> >So, what does the 500 mean at this point?  Anyone know what I'm
> >looking for as a reading?
>
> Mike,
>
> If you did in fact remove the battery terminals from the battery first, and
> then held the Ohmmeter leads tightly to the battery terminals and got a 500
> Ohm reading, this is not good.  Try taking the reading with the meter leads
> reversed also.  Depending on the context, 500 Ohms can be considered high
> or low resistance, but in your case it could mean that you have a short to
> some degree.  In a properly performing electrical system, the you should
> get a reading of something close to infinite resistance.  One note though,
> make sure you are reading the Ohmmeter correctly.  Are you sure it's really
> saying 500 Ohms, and not 500 with a "k" after the number?  That would mean
> 500 "kilo" Ohms or 500,000 Ohms to be exact.
>
> Basically, having low resistance across the battery *cables* (like no
> resistance or .5 to 5 Ohms) means you have something shorted directly to a
> vehicle or engine ground connected to the positive side of the wiring.
> Slightly higher resistance (like 500 Ohms) might mean you have a corroded
> short.  The short is there, just burned or dirty and not making clean
> contact.  Hook up the battery and current will flow through this short
> creating great heat at the sight of the short.
>
> Having infinite resistance or something close to it (like 1,000,000 Ohms)
> would be normal.
>
> Keep us posted,
>
> John
> jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       |                WARNING!
> Conservative Libertarian         |
> Life Member of the NRA           |      Reading e-mail is NOT a safe
> WA Arms Collectors               |    alternative to tobacco products!
> Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    |
> http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  |        Internet Health Ministry

John-

The reading on the meter is ".5", and is on the switch setting to be
figured by "x1000", thus my 500 ohms.  I did remove the terminals from
the battery when doing this reading, and did it several times,
recallibrating each time to make sure all was proper.  One time, and one
time only, I got a reading much higher-pointing out toward the infinity
end of the scale-although I think this was only about 8000 ohms on this
particular guage.  I re-tried several times, as I stated above, and got
the .5 reading every other time, leading myself to believe that the "8"
reading had been a mis-read, or I had done something wrong.
Dan Nees made another suggestion for narrowing down the problem that I
plan to try in a few minutes, but if anyone can make any more sense of
this, keep the info coming!

Thanks!

Michael