More of My Electrical Info

HELP!!!

Well, I went out to try to figure out some more of my electrical
problems, and it's getting dark so damn early now that I can't get much
done.  What I did though was to hook up an Ohmmeter to check resistance
across the system.  I checked a couple of little recommended things in
the book for this instrument.  Then I tested resistance across the
battery terminals-I think someone recommended this to me.  This reading
came back around 500 Ohms.  I have no idea what this means, but this
meter had a high or low setting, and recommended "Hi."  500 sounds
awfully high to me, but the reading went up to 10,000 before registering
off as infinity.  Of course, on the low setting, it reads as low as .5
ohms.  So, what does the 500 mean at this point?  Anyone know what I'm
looking for as a reading?

Thanks!

Michael