Re: AMP's/Bats (was something else?)

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, William Cunningham wrote:

> Nice to know what RPM will be effective for recharging, I have winged it
> in the past. Now I can tell the person recruited to stand on the breaks
> to "hold it at 1400 RPM's as long as you are sitting there".
> The winch is a Ramsey RE 8000, it draws much more than any winch I have
> owned but it has never come close to getting hot.

Willy,

You need to just install a hand throttle!

Most electric winches, using electromagnets, pull something in the
neighborhood of 480amps at full load.

The REP (permanent magnet) 8000 draws about 280amps, but it'll overheat
sooner, and is a "lesser" winch... it's also cheaper ($400 gets you a new
one)

Somewhere around here I have a Winch Comparison article.. with draw
rates, line speed, weight, etc for a number of popular winches..

-Tom