AMP's/Bats (was something else?)

>The 37 amp alternator was standard on all Scouts with the 67 amp an
>option.  With A/C, you did get the 67 amp, otherwise it had to be
ordered
>to get it
.
My Terra did not have AC so I wonder why it was ordered with the 67 Amp?
Nothing special about the truck, no extra anything.

.
>The 67 or 90 amp may not do as much to take the load off your battery
in
>a winching situation as you might expect, except to recharge it faster
>after you get back moving.  An alternator needs to run about 2000 rpm
>deliver it's rated output, and with stock pulleys, this is usually
about
>1400 engine rpm, unless you install a smaller pulley on the alternator
as
>some  have done.  And even if you are getting the full output, what is
>the draw of the winch motor?

>Howard Pletcher

The draw of the winch is 400+ at full load so the best I can hope for is
faster recovery. I have dual Bats set up ala' Landry (marine selector)
so I can kill one bat, the other, or both at the same time;-) I am
careful to not shut the Scout down during or after a winch fest and slap
the bat charger on as soon as I get home. Suggestions for a better set
up are welcome.
Nice to know what RPM will be effective for recharging, I have winged it
in the past. Now I can tell the person recruited to stand on the breaks
to "hold it at 1400 RPM's as long as you are sitting there".
The winch is a Ramsey RE 8000, it draws much more than any winch I have
owned but it has never come close to getting hot.

Willy