Re: Re: Scout 800 Power Steering Conversion

Doug Rasmussen wrote:

>  I got the "ball" off a spare 800 tie rod assembly.  Since I had the part
> it didn't occur to me availability would be a problem.  Don't any other
> vehicles use this type of ball?

I suspect that they did at some time -- but that didn't help with
availability now.  We were unable to locate an "a la carte" source for a
ball of the proper diameter, with a shank of the proper length and taper.

Comer reported finding the proper part *contained* in a kit for early Ford
Mustang steering linkage overhauls -- but at a kit cost of over $100.

The ball on the manual steering gear that we removed was severely worn
(probably 25 percent of the material was completely missing).  Besides, it
was staked/swedged in place on the manual gear's pitman arm, and impossible
to remove.

The one on the tie rod was removable as I recall, and of the proper taper as
you mention -- but in similarly poor condition.  I fear that MOST such
"balls" will be in comparably poor condition after 30+ years of service.

If anyone knows of a source for that "ball piece" with the tapered shank,
I'm all ears.  But since the PS conversion was due to larger tires & a lift
in the first place, upgrading the relatively wimpy OEM drag link (and the
tie rod) to stouter pieces with modern ends was a reasonable idea that was
also timely.  It just increases the cost of the job (being thorough normally
does . . .).

Regards,

Bill Thebert
The Binder Bulletin