Re: Xfer Case Jumping Out of 4L

>case jumping out of 4L under load.  In past discussions on this topic,
>several Digesters suggested it had to do with the shift lever contacting
>case) are very close to the same profile.  The third however from my parts

I think I made mention of this when I put my '72 Dana 20 into my '77.  Aside
from removing material from the 'case to clear the T19, the '72 Dana 20's
shifter lever has a different bend... which keeps the knob from hitting the
dash in 4-lo, and I haven't had any problem hitting 4-hi yet, either.

One of the benefits of the twin-stick transfer case awaiting completion in
the garage was going to be the elimination of that annoying rattle that
comes from the t'case shifter barely touching the hood release knob in
4-low... that, and I store my shovel under the hood, and you can't get the
shovel out when you're in 4-lo (usually this happens when I've managed to
slide partway off the trail).  Going to the twin stick was going to fix this
problem (still will) but the '72 shifter lever has fixed the situation for
the time being (a welcome, but unexpected, benefit.. the key benefit was
having a working 'case back in the truck!)

>camping.  There's nothing more fun than trying to steer the truck while at
>the same time hold the transfer case shift lever in 4L with all your might.

The un-Landryesque manner of fixing the t'case popping out of gear
problem... is to use a big U-bolt and a turnbuckle to keep the transfer case
in gear.  This approach is found primarily on off-road racers and the
occasional all-out-trail-rig.

-Tom