Re: Wagonmaster's and Travellette's

Chris & Ranae Procyk wrote:

> Yeah, Mike, it's definitely a WM and I would love to see you get it..
>
> BUT it's another "old" vehicle, has probably been sitting or very lightly
> used (as per my estate sale experience)....if you really need a daily
> driver don't let the list's enthusiasm push you into it.
>
> I have some fear that you'll wind up with three non-working IH's and
> have to bag the whole IH thing.. that has happened before here.

Chris and Ranae-

Au contraire, mon fraire!!!  I was going to get on here last night and
post my excitement about my Scout.  It has been, in my opinion, ready to
run for at least three months now, and more like five probably.  I was
holding off because I was so excited to get my T'all back-a drawn-out
two-and-a-half year mechanic experience-I wanted to drive the T'all all
the time, so the Scout sat and I began thinking about just sitting the
Scout until I could get a body for it-something that was held together
by more than rust that had something better than "Flinstone Brakes"!
Well, with the T'all out of commission, I went ahead last night and did
some handi-work on the Scout.
The top had been off for a number of months at one time and the bottom
had settled quite drastically in another zip code!  I could only get one
of the bolts in to hold it in place, no matter what I tried.  I got
three of the windshield screws in, and one of the bolts in the back.  I
knew that with this set-up I had no desire to take it on the freeway at
highway speeds.  Last night I got some strip metal and some furnace
screws and some washers and went at it-we were out of bailing wire and
duct tape!  It now has eight new tie downs right on the outside of its
lovely body!  I think Dan Nees had really better watch out now-this is
the kind of thing that will be hard to beat when it comes to "Ugly
Truck" contests.
Anyway, went out late last night-when there is very little traffic-and
test drove her.  Everything stayed on, the engine didn't hiccup at all,
and actually, the engine felt great!!!  I was running down the freeway
at freeway speed-no speedo working in the truck, but was staying with
traffic-probably about seventy at that point.
I also made a home-made ground wire for one of my taillights that
wouldn't work, and it works as well now!  It was a very productive
night.

As for the old truck maybe not running, point well-taken, but I have
heard countless stories about people buying old clunkers out of a field
and starting them and driving them away.  I know there are a lot of
things that can go wrong besides the motor, but my first IH-the '68
T'all-had been sitting in a yard for nine years and had only been
started a handfull of times, and had not moved in three when I got it.
I drove from LA to Sacramento, bought it, replaced a leaky accelerator
pump, and drove it home (about 400 miles, I think) that night.  I left
six days later on a 2200 mile trip with a trailer and a load of antiques
in the back.  Burnt out both rear wheel bearings on the way, but oddly
enough, both small towns had one in stock at their parts place.  That
was probably the worst problem that I ever had with it!
And this one has been sitting inside and occasionally tinkered with by
mechanics at the garage.  The body is very solid, which makes me think
it is worth what I am going to pay for it at least.  And I have two good
running 345's in my other two vehicles that I can just drop in if it is
not a good runner.  That is why I feel safe in this matter-I figured all
along that if I found a good body, I could just swap out one of my
engines.

I do, however, want to thank you for your advice, and will certainly
take it into advisement before I make a move.  I have not totally made a
decision yet, and will hem and haw the "It's old and has been sitting a
LONG time" fact before putting out any money.

Thanks for the time to answer, and I will let you know what I decide!

Michael