Re: T'ette 4x4's

On Mon, 26 Oct 1998 09:17:04 -0500 (EST) Chris & Ranae Procyk
<procyk19@domain.elided> writes:
>> Could you look in your pamphlet and find the wheelbase of the
>T'ette?
>
>Howard answered this already, didn't he???

149" and 164" was the answer for the pre-1974's, 149 and 166 for 74-75's,
vs. 119/120" for the WM and Travelalls

>BTW, Howard, are you guessing that it was a WM because you think
>(as I do) that they didn't make a "true" Travellete in the 100
>series???
>
>And since we're on the T'llete subject:  What's up with my 1970 4x4?  I
have
>a sales brochure for the 62-67 trucks, and it clearly shows that the
>lwb T'llete was NOT offered with 4wd.  Then Crismon, on the page
>we were both talking about, says that 4x4 supposedly wasn't available
>at all on the T'llete-- referring to 74-75.  He claims this picture is
proof
>opposite, but it's a WM, not a T'llete picture.

While the photo you mentioned is definitely a WM, I found in the '74
Pickup advertising brochure, the WM is shown as a T'ette with a 5' box
(and in one picture, misidentified as having a 6 1/2' box)   It would
seem to make sense to call it a T'ette with a 5' box.   Crismon was so
thorough that I can hardly see him getting the description wrong even
though I had never noticed the T'ette designation before.  I helped proof
read the first 400 pages of his book and I think we found only two or
three items in that part that were really errors.

>But what about '69-'73?  Was a 4x4 166wb catalogued?  I have to get
>the LST to make sure that this wasn't a conversion, but if it is it's
>ridiculously complete.

I didn't pay as much attention to the pickups and Travelalls as I did
Scouts and don't have as much info on them, but looking over the
brochures I have, I find the 1210 4x4 with both the 149 and 164"
wheelbases listed as available with a note saying this wheelbase is for
the Travelette cab from 69 through 73.  There was also a 1310 4x4
Travelette in the 149" wheelbase, but not 164--the longest wheelbase 1310
4x4 was 156" for some reason, which made only the 6 1/2' box available.

The 74 brochure states that the Travelettes were not available in 4x4,
although that would mostly apply to the "real" T'ettes and since the WM
was really a Travelall, which did have 4WD, it would be no problem to
build one.  And of course, like the uncataloged 500 4x4 that was the last
one down the line, who can say what else was actually built.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]