Re: Oil Drainback

On Mon, 26 Oct 1998 17:32:22 -0500 (EST) cookiedan@domain.elided (Daniel
Nees) writes:
> The other thing, which I learned
>here on the digest, is that a lot of the oil drains into the front
>portion of the pan and the oil pump pick-up gets starved under high
>RPM's.
>   I wonder if closing the front drain back holes some or all together
>and opening up the rears a little more would help this.

Since oil pooling in the top end is already part of the problem, it
wouldn't seem that reducing the drainback volume would be of much help.

The problem with the front sump filling up is that the air flow off the
crank actually holds the oil up there at a higher level than the hump in
the middle.  If I remember correctly, just reducing the height of the
hump by 1" greatly reduced the problem by putting some distance between
the hump and the crank.  If you've raised you truck at all, you could
rework the pan and probably have no more troubles.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]