Current suspension

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998,  CKoenen@domain.elided (Chuck Koenen SR.) wrote:
>The 77 Scout II I am working on has already been lifted quite a bit but
>I am wondering about the IQ of the previous owner.
>Lift in the front is done using long shackles on the fronts of the
>spring. These are over 7" long and don't even have the H piece in them
>and no bracing between them.

Well, since the stock shackles are 2.5" eye-to-eye, 7" shackles will give
about 2" inches of lift, i.e. half the difference or (7-2.5)/2=2.25"
That assumes that the fixed spring mount is stock.

Get a second opinion on the rear spring over.  If it was done right, leave
it alone, Tom's right.  Maybe all you need is HD or stock shackles and
lifted front springs.

Check the lengths (compressed & extended) of the shocks, brake lines, and
driveshafts, front & rear.

Want a really cheap fix?  Re-drill the 7" monsters to 6" and brace 'em with
a piece of pipe with a bolt through the middle.  Drive slow.  :)

Bob
77 Scout II
LIOR