Re: Re: Exhaust Tubing Benders and Roll Cages, Etc.

At 10:48 AM 10/20/98 -0400, Doug Rasmussen wrote:
>Everything I've read about roll cages and tube chassis fabrication for
>amateurs recommends using mild steel.

also, use an adequate welder. most 110V MIGs won't get the job done unless
you are _very_ careful and through.  you can easily end up with
cosmetically nice welds that haven't penetrated usefully into the metal.

>  Art Morrison Enterprises, 1-800-929-7188, sells roll bar tubing.  It's
>not cheap though.  Example: mild steel, 1 5/8 x .134 wall is $2.45/foot.

note that DOM and ERW are distinctly different mild steel products; DOM is
more expensive but much stronger for a given weight. i'd rather have a
1.5"x0.095" DOM cage than a 1.5"x0.120" ERW cage.

ERW also presents some construction complexity because of the need to pay
attention to where the welded seam (ERW=Electric Resistance Welding) falls
when you bend the tubes. there are no such constraints with DOM tubing.

richard