Status

Well I've got my 2" Skyjacker suspension in, along with my new rear
bumper/ hitch/ tire mount, and my 33 gal gastank.  Looks pretty good.  The
new bumper and gas tank weigh 55lb more than the original equipment dry.
125 lbs wet.   Skyjacker told me the springs were 1/2 inch longer in the
rear vs the standarad spring which is the same front/rear.  I measured
several times and that difference just wasn't there.  And yes I did
measure along the top leaf of the spring, not the chord of the arc.

Due to the additional weight in the back it seems to sit about 1/2"  lower
in the rear than it does in the front.  Not enough to be very
objectionable but I can tell when I look at the Scout.  Not enough to
throw the headlight aim far off though.  I may put in 1/2" longer
shackels.  This is work and right now I'm having an attack of the
lazies.  Howard mentioned that longer shackles would make the rear end
softer horizontally for trailer towing.  I know this happens but I wonder
if 1/2 longer shackels would do this to any meaningfull amount.  Would H
pattern shackels help this???? Seems like they would.

It sure is nice to have an operating suspension.  I don't crash into the
bump stops every time I hit a tar strip anymore.  Makes the old Scout
somewhat more quiet around town.

I had to take part of the exhaust system out to install the new gas tank.
Boy was i glad I took the time to put the exhaust together with bolted
flanges vs cheap slip joints.  Comes apart easily and went back together
nicely too.

Actually, we're remodeling our house.  New ceramic floors in the kitchen,
hall, entry.  New hardwood in the family room, new carpet elsewhere.  The
kitchen is getting a new ceramic counter top, and of course new paint
everywhere.  pant, pant, pant.  And I dont' have the cash to hire someone
to do the work.

Seems like were being awfuly quiet on the Digest this week. Is there a
mail problem.

Steve

Steven A. Stegmann
     _/_/_/    _/      _/_/_/ "No free man shall ever be debarred the use
   _/    _/   _/_/   _/    _/  of arms.  The strongest reason for the
   _/        _/ _/   _/        people to retain the right to keep and bear
    _/_/    _/  _/    _/_/     arms is, as a last resort, to protect
       _/  _/_/_//       _/    themselves against tyranny in government"
 _/_/_/  _/     _/ _/_/_/         Thomas Jefferson, June 1776