Re: Help with Dana 20

Jeff:

Those two shift rails have notches on their "inboard" sides -- that is, the
side of each rail that faces the OTHER rail.

There are two "bullet-shaped" steel pieces -- rather like the shape of an
overgrown "Good & Plenty" candy.  These steel pieces are forced from side
to side by the movements of the rails.  This is what provides the "logic"
in a single-lever transfer case -- allowing one rod to move ONLY when the
other rod is in a specific position, etc.

Place both rods in the "neutral" position, and then try "twisting" one or
both of the rods. Once twisted 180 degrees, the notches in the twisted rod
should be on the OUTBOARD side.  The rod should then be able to be
extracted.

Attempting to "wail on the rods" and force them to move when interlocked
will damage either the rods themselves, the steel "bullets" or the channel
in the bearing retainer where these "bullets" ride. (Note: these are the
interlocks that are REMOVED when performing the "twin-stick refit", so as
to allow completely independent shifting of each axle.)

I don't recall for certain that "neutral" is in fact the lever postion that
allows one of the rods to be twisted.  If neither rod will twist easily
with both rods in the neutral position, then experiment with other
positions, such as the 2WD-High position, etc.

Regards,

Bill Thebert
The Binder Bulletin