Help with Dana 20

I pulled my spare Dana 20 transfer case out today.  I thought I would dismantle it, take all the part numbers for bearings a seals, and get it back together during the weak to replace my current leaky tcase.  I got every bolt free out of the spare no problem.  The only problem I have is trying to get the shift rails to slide out of the front drive breaning retainer.  Everything else is loose.  The rail for the front drive engagement acted like it wanted to come through, but the rear drive rail wouldn't budge much past its "in" position (4Lo), however I was able to take the set screw out of the rear drive shift fork.  I figured I would force it out once I had the bearing retainer on the bench.  Then I started driving the front engagement rail through the retainer and it got stuck about a third of the way down the linkage slot.  Just to be safe I pressed it all back together and found that I couldn't move the shift lever once I put it all back together.  Now both rails are stuck in 4Lo postition, and won't budge.  This case shifted and probably worked fine before I started.  I know "If it aint broke dont fix it", but I wanted to start with a freshly sealed and bearing'd case for the winter.
  The question is, am I doing something wrong?  I think I just have to whale those babies out of there because the rusted part of the shafts are hanging up in the machined part of the bearing retainer in which they slide.  Hopefully the reason they don't move now is due the shafts being bunged up or the shmeg I sucked in there driving it into the unused area on the shaft.  Everything else is out of the way, the seals at the linkage end of the shafts as well as the cups at the opposite end of the shafts.  The intermediate shaft and all or most of its bearings are out as well as the rear drive gear.
  Help!
BTW, does anyone know off hand the part numbers for any of the bearings, seals, and gaskets to the D20.
---
Layda,
Tark
'77 Terra 345/T19/D20