Re: GC's and rodding

Tom H.,

The Torsen diff is a remarkable device.  The problem is that it is going
to cost more to build.  Regular diffs are made by the millions.  Getting
that kind of cost for the Torsen is not easy.

Second problem,  the only people who would want a Torsen is someone who
needs a limited slip, or locker.  Are you seeing potential market
population dropping as we speak.  I don't think there's any inherent
problem in building it.  I suspect the possible market size is the problem.

Another use for it is a part of the transmission in dozers and tanks.
What you do here is drive the tracks through the Torsen.  The Torsen is
equipped with a second shaft connected to what takes the place of the
spiders in a conventional diff. If you just drive this second shaft with
a small motor (say 40 or 50hp), you can make one track go faster than the
other.  The advantage of this is that unlike a conventional dozer, both
tracks are pulling all the time.  Never went into production, maybe not
enough cost reduction.

Steve

Steven A. Stegmann
     _/_/_/    _/      _/_/_/ "No free man shall ever be debarred the use
   _/    _/   _/_/   _/    _/  of arms.  The strongest reason for the
   _/        _/ _/   _/        people to retain the right to keep and bear
    _/_/    _/  _/    _/_/     arms is, as a last resort, to protect
       _/  _/_/_//       _/    themselves against tyranny in government"
 _/_/_/  _/     _/ _/_/_/         Thomas Jefferson, June 1776