Rear drive shaft

Binders,

After replacing my rear diff pinion oil seal, and putting new u-joints in
my drive shaft, and attempting to properly phase the shaft, I've come up
with this question.  The spline configuration in my rear shaft will not
allow me to phase the yokes so that they are in exactly the same plane.
Rather, they're either slightly skewed in one direction, or slip it back a
tooth, slightly more skewed in the opposite direction.  Same thing if you
rotate one end 180 degrees.  So, back in it is, just like it was, with a
slight phase shift.  What am I missing here?  Apparently, IH doesn't want
me to be able to perfectly phase the drive shaft.  Surely there's a reason
- does anyone know?  (The out-of-phase I have, and have had, is
insignificant enough that I never noticed it before, and I'll never notice
it in the future.  It's really just curiosity at this point.)

Joe Costanzo
'79 Scout II