Fix one, find another broke

Put the front driveshaft back in the '77 tonight, along with a general
clean-up in the cargo area, and I replaced a lug nut that had gotten
stripped when I fixed the spring mount... a good night thus far.

Well, then I decided to check my rear wheels for a wobble.. Mark Korsten
had said something on the way down from Holy Cross, but no one else would
ever confirm for me.. last weekend in Missoula, my friend Dan mentioned I
had a wobble as I roared past him.

So, jack up both rear tires, put it on jack stands, chock the front wheels..

Fire it up, put it in gear, and walk around back..

Driver's side is fine.  Passenger side has a wobble!

Took the 33x12.50 on 15x8 wheel off, and grabbed one of my stock
tires&wheels (*small*) and bolted it up... managed to destroy a stud by
cross-threading a lug nut in the process (well, I had just gone from 19
to 20 lug nuts, now back to 19 I guess).

The small tire wobbled, too!  It wasn't an out-of-balance tire/wheel..

No tire, the brake drum easily slid off, and then I put it back in gear
and watched the flange wobble.

My guess is it's been doing this for nearly 5,000 miles now.  And that's
only since Mark mentioned it to me..

This would also explain a vibration I've been getting at 65 or so.. at
first I thought it was from the soft-top drumming badly.. but the
hardtop's on now, and it still does it.  :-(

Gonna go grab my IH shop manual in a minute and read up some more...

Look like I remove the 5 or 6 bolts holding the brake system on (via the
small hole in the axle flange) to get that loose.. then does the whole
thing slide off?  Guess I'll find out in the book! ;)

Now, I *believe* my '72 uses different rear brakes on it's rear Dana 44.
Those brakes are shot, anyhow, but.. I guess after I get back from
Missoula I'll be yanking an axle shaft from the '72 Dana 44 to transplant
into the '77 (I wanted a Warn FullFloater for the '72 anyhow...)  It
appears that the studs will come with it, so no biggie on the fouled
wheel stud.  Just wondering if I would have any problem swapping the axle
shafts..

I recall there being a bearing that needs pressed onto an axle shaft.. I
assume I can yank the 'shaft from the '72 and swap it into the '77 as-is,
but is this bearing something that *should* be replaced on R&R, or just
give 'er a look-see and slap it in?

The fun never ends!  At least i have 4wd again..

Off to read my book before bed...

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 Scout II - getting dismantled for a restoration..
'77 Scout II - receiving all the dismantled parts
'77/78 Scout II that will get the left-overs to become a racer..