Re: Towing

I have an update on my towing question of yesterday.

My Scout has absolutely no wander.  ...it had a whole bunch
until I replaced the rag joint.  The spring bushings have
been replaced with that red stuff...polywhateverelene.  I
have 2.5" Rancho lift springs that are as old as my Scout,
and they're stiffer than the stock XLC springs.  I also have
some caster shims installed, dunno how much.  I can tow
dad's 18-foot, 5000 lb trailer all day long without
difficulty.

I went ahead and bought the trailer.  The folks wouldn't let
me try it out, so I bought it anyways.  It came with an
equalizer setup that I used to tow the 25' beast home.
...felt pretty good up to about 60 mph or so.  The hitch
wasn't set up properly; the equalizer bars were loose and
non-functional, so the steering was pretty light.  I'm
hoping for a little better pull when I adjust the hitch.
...if it won't work, then I'll be looking for a Durango or a
van.  The Scout sure looks puny hooked up to that trailer.

Power is not much of a problem with the 345 and 4.11's.  I
won't win any races, but those 345's can really pull.  I'm
leaving for the Deer Hunt on Thursday, where I'll be pulling
steep grades to nearly 10,000 feet.  I'll post a "pulling
update" when I get back.  ...unless I end up in a ditch.  If
I survived the towing of Dad's trailer with a shot rag joint
(2" of slop in the steering wheel) up and down Sardine
canyon, I think I'll survive this little jaunt to Fish Lake
and back.  The Scout feels every bit as stable as my
Exploder did towing the same 18" trailer.  ...maybe better.
Heck, even Dad's loooong wheelbase Mazda/Ranger extra cab
feels about the same stability-wise.  ...not the same
power-wise.  If it doesn't work, I've been trying to talk
the wife into a used Suburban or a Durango anyways.  ...she
wants a minivan.  ...well so do I, but they can't tow a wet
fart.

Jeep Grand Cherokee weighs 3900 lbs, has 105.9" wheelbase,
and has a 6500 lb tow rating.  ...and I'm sure a trailer
length limit of about 24 feet.

but I ramble.

Doug
'78 Scout (tow vehicle)