Re: Ahhhhhh my front axle seals are leaking.

In a brilliant stroke of genius, John Fleck <jlfleck@domain.elided> blurted
out:

> Help my axle is leaking fluid out the front axle u-joint areas. To fisx
>this does this entail taking the front axle off and pulling the pumkin to
>replace the axle seals that hold the stinky fluid in? I believe this is the
>case.

I don't have first hand experience with front axle seal problems (mine
haven't failed), but I'd say yes... if you have gear oil leaking from the
axle ends, I'd sure think the seals are at fault.  However, could it
possibly be you have a clogged differential vent and somehow had excess
pressure build up in the pumpkin forcing oil past the seals?  Or could the
pumpkin be overfilled?

>Second thing:
>
>Speculations: it cranks but doesnt fire....we thought it may not be firing
>under compression or that its not turning over fast enough (like a bad dog).
>
>Additional info: The spark plugs are black indicating a rich fuel mix
>caused by poor adjustment or a dirty air filter.

This sounds *really* scary, considering it failed as he was revving it up.
Revving an engine under a no load condition is probably one of the most
stressful modes you can place it in.  As a matter of fact, the owners
manual which came with my '84 Honda V65 Magna motorcycle warns never to
exceed something like 6000 rpm under a no load condition (going from
memory), even though the red line is 13,000 rpm.

So I'm wondering if he has done some serious damage to the engine
internally?  But then maybe it's something simple and nothing big.  Did you
guys check the compression?  Does the distributor rotor turn?  Maybe try
swapping the coil for a known good one.  It seems like you checked
everything else.

Good luck,

John

jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    |
Conservative Libertarian      |
Life Member of the NRA        |        All the GOOD things in life
WA Arms Collectors            |              are DANGEROUS!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |
www.halcyon.com/jlandry/      |