Re: Head Gaskets

Allan-

I actually had the whole engine done. About the only assembly/disassembly I
coud do was to remove replace the heads and all the external parts since I
live in an apartment. But the total cost of the rebuild was $1801.89
(including $142.69 sales tax). The costs related to the heads break down as follows:

Resurfacing heads       $60
Valve grind             $100
Valve guide R&R         $64
Valve height adjust     $32
Intake valves           $60
Exhaust valves (SS)     $120
Valve guides            $48
Cyl head freeze plugs   $3
Valve spring shims      $16
Total                   $503

I used the Comp Cams valve springs that I got from Summit for about $90. He
also cleaned and Magnafluxed the heads and did not charge me separately from
these operations on the block.

I had all the work done by Eastside Machine in Kirkland, WA. The owner, Kurt
Hackendorf, is a pretty good guy, and seems to have a good reputation. One of
his first jobs in a machine shop was at the IH dealership in Seattle!

Let me know if you want the rest of the invoice broken down.

Jeff