Re: Navistar stuff

On Thu, 08 Oct 1998 22:21:30 -0400 "stephen.coe"
<stephen.coe@domain.elided> writes:
>I saw this in the July issue of Sport Truck Mag. Quote: "Diesel
Manufacturer
>Navistar International has been selected to negotiate an extended-term
>agreement to provide diesel engens for certain Ford Motor Company
light-duty
>trucks and SUVs,such as the Ford Expedition,Lincoln Navigator,F-150 and
>F-250 pickups,and Econoline 150 and 250 van models. John R.
Horne,Navistar
>chainman,president,and chief executive officer,says,"This colud
represent a
>tremendous groth opportunity for both Navistar and our engine
business,as it
>could further solidify our strong,long-termrelationship with ford and
move us
>into the growing light-truck ans sport/utility vehicle market."
>   Is there a NEW IHC VEHICLE IN THE WORKS FOR ALL OF US IHC FOLKS?????
>Just thought you would like to spectulate all of this.

Between the lines I'd interpret what Horne had to say as " move us into
the growing light-truck and sport/utility vehicle market  AS AN ENGINE
SUPPLIER.

The contract he's talking about includes developing a smaller V-6 diesel
that will go into the F-150's and Expeditions, which would be the SUV
market the 444 isn't available in now.  I don't see a Navistar SUV in our
lifetimes--not even Tom M's!  Even with the 444, the use of the engine is
planned so that Navistar and Ford don't compete head-to-head with that
engine in similar sized trucks and the dealer organization is even
less-well positioned to sell SUV's now than they were 25 years ago when
they were trying to sell Scouts.

Sorry to burst the bubble.

>Steve Coe 71 HIC stepside Lassie

A Hi-C stepside--is that similar to getting a pickup from V-8 (as opposed
to a pickup with a V-8)?  Is it painted orange?  Did it come in a can?
        :-))

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]