diesel water pump

Hi,
It is nice to be back on the digest, my ISP screwed up the connection and I
could not get through for the past 6 months.  I have an '80 turbo diesel
with a rotten body.  I might be transplanting it into another body, though I
am not sure it is going to be worth while.  It sat for a long time and since
I got it I have been warming it up once in a while (not driving it since
only one brake is operational at the time) and recently it has begun to spit
out ALOT of white smoke at starting and then it decreases.  It looks as
though there is a fire behind the rig as it starts.  The water level has
gone down a little, the oil is clean, and today I noticed that it is damp
between the water pump and block.  Could this be the problem?  In the next
week or two I am getting it towed to a local vocational center to have it
looked at. The engine has 60,000 or 160,000 on it.  Nothing else seems to be
loose or leaking.  By the way I will let you know when I update my webpage
with my "new" rigs and IHC nationals picts.
Thanks in advance
Jon
'66 800
'80 diesel
'74 scout II
'75 scout II
Bet you can't own just one

PS I am looking for a power steering pump brackets for a 4 cyl scout II