rears

This is a little off topic so anyone with an answer please respond off
digest. I am helping a friend with a bronco swap 9" rears.
   The first question is, how do you seperate the third member from the
housing without driving the bolts into the housing?
    Second, We have the third member out of the first axle and I think
the pinion shaft is snapped. I can turn the yoke and hold the ring and
pinion from turning while the yoke is turning. While turning the yoke
you can feel/hear a clicking sound in the pinion area. Is the shaft a
one piece deal from the yoke to the gear? If we take the shaft from
another rear (which we have) do we have to do any shimming to the pinion
portion? Should we just use the shims out of the original housing, or
use the shims from the good shaft?
   Sorry about the off-topic post, but; I don't know of a better source
for auto info than this list.

Dan Nees
cookiedan@domain.elided
1979 Scout II 345, 727, D44's w/3.07's, 4" Triangle lift.
1971 Scout II 304, D30/44, D20, power steering.

Now with Pictures!