? Good carb cleaning

Hello,

    I've had my 1980 Scout back on the road for a few weeks and it seems to be running rich. The plugs were fouled with dry black residue. The truck starts like it is flooded - don't tap the accelerator or it will have to be held to the floor. Takes some cranking to start anyway and lets out an impressive cloud of smoke (usually when cold, valve seals? or fuel?). It has been sitting for some time without running but runs fine warm at highway sppeds. Can't tell if it is low on power - no good reference to go by (that I can remember). Anyway just what is involved in a good carb cleaning. It's kinda black in there even after the carb cleaner spray. Thanks

Matt Palguta
John A. Landry writes:

Sounds like maybe you had a power valve stuck open on your carb, thus
keeping the mixture too rich.  The backfire (maybe) might have cleared the
problem.  Time for a good carb cleaning?

Regards,

John L.

--

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery?