Re: Avenir Winches

Allan-

I have one of these, and it is indeed as stout as it appears, reminds me of
the Hi-Lift jack in terms of construction and durability. It is so stout, it
weighs about 25lbs. (I just went and brought it in the house to put on the
bathroom scale. I'll have to remember to take that back outside before my wife
comes home. <grin>)

It has 40ft. of 5/16" cable. It is rated for 2000lb. single line pull and
4000lb. double line (it includes a pulley block). It is designed so the
limiting factor in its pull capacity is the handle, it's about 18" of fairly
lightweight tubing so the (removeable) handle will give before anything else.

I have used it a few times to move my engineless Scout around the parking lot.
I've only had to use it once for self-recovery. I got my J**p high centered on
rocks in the middle of a stream. I tried to pull myself out forwards but only
butted into the rocks. I disconnected the winch, went to the back of the
truck, and dragged myself off the rock so I could back out of the stream.

I figured I would use this until I could afford a winch that would be a little
less work (read: electric). And once I get another winch it will come in handy
for giong backwards. I am very pleased with it so far.

Jeff
1974 Scout
1997 J**p TJ (for sale, so I can get a winch for the Scout)