RE: Dan's washing (is it Wednesday, already?) and Silicon Brake Fluid

At 08:37 AM 10/1/98 -0500, Eppinger.Michael wrote:
>	[Eppinger.Michael]
>	Boy the week went by fast, it must be Wed if Dan is getting
>washed  <v v b g>.  Seriously, I have heard that you don't want to use
>the silicon brake fluid in off road vehicles due to it's instability at
>higher temperatures.  You get inconsistant braking, as it heats up.
>Stick with the standard brake fluid, with off road scouts, you will
>corrode through the outside of the brake lines before you do it from the
>inside.  Just bleed the fluid every now and then (1-2 years).

silicone is indeed a bad idea if you are rough on your brakes.

it has some compatibility issues with glycol based fluids that have been
known to cause real trouble, and some older rubber seals that may be found
in braking systems are definitely allergic to the silicone stuff.

Ford Heavy duty is good stuff, used by many racers, and it's very
reasonably priced, available over the counter at your local Ford dealer.
Castrol LMA also works very well, and is the best fluid likely to be
stocked at your local Pep boys or Parts America store.

richard