Re: Marine engines

>From: Tom and Amanda Lang <rustnrot@domain.elided>
>Subject: International M392 Marine Engine

 Also as a technical aside, normally when
>a craft is fitted with twin engines they *rotate* in opposite
directions.
>Normally this means a "reverse cam" that has the lobes on it completely
>different, and in some cases the distributor direction is reversed and
the
>pistons installed with the "arrow on them pointing the wrong way" on
one of
>the engines.  Howard, do any "wrong-way" engines come to mind?

  This opposite rotation normally comes from the outdrive or gear
assembly.  On Inboard/Outboards, as on my buddy's twin screw (no pun,
but has happend) Wellcraft Nova, the outdrives are what
"counter-rotate".  For land-lubbers out there, the left outdrive (on his
boat) turns clockwise, and the right outdrive turns counter clockwise,
thus both turn into each other.  The outdrive is the part that hangs off
the back of the boat, if you are not familiar with boats.  Now, on
inboard drive systems, where the engine has a "direct drive" to a
propeller & shaft, "wrong-way" engines may indeed be the way.  Don't
have too much experience with them.
  Anyway, I would hope that you don't have to go thru the process of
locating "wrong-way" engines.  It would be much easier & cheaper to have
the drives do that.  YMMV.

Rob C
robc10x@domain.elided