Disc brake conversions and more

>Many of IH's 3/4 ton 4x4s used a closed knuckle D44 up front.  Basically
>the same as the 1/2 ton D44, but 8 bolt drums, instead of 5 bolt drums.

The documentation I have shows a 3,000lb front axle (FA-44), which is a
D44 open knuckle, and a 3,500lb front axle (FA-45, I think) which is a
closed knuckle unit with slightly thicker tubes.  The original IHC spec
sheet
for these is scanned and available on my web page, so you can see the
source of this info.

>So, Chris, Bill, and other Truck nuts, I'm real interested in an 8 bolt
>disk conversion.  I see all kinds of possibilities here.

So am I, I've been told that Chevy 3/4 ton stuff from the spindles out will
work, but I question the source, and as we all know, "the devil
is in the details".  The odds of finding a 74 or 75 IHC 3/4 ton front 4x4
axle
are slim, as their sales were not that high in those years.  Perhaps Bill
can
relay the interest to Mr. Comer for a future BB article?  Well, maybe not,
I just read the digest posting from Dave Read: Argus has Discs.
Bill, you know you will need this info when you get that pre 74 Travelette
tow rig...if it has 4 wheel drive.  I guess we'll have to start figuring it
out
as a cooperative team over the 'net, kind of like Linux Development.

Allan Weidenheimer
72 1210 Pickup (Drum Brakes)
Finally caught up reading digests, I read 12 on the plane flight