heads

Tom,
  Your debugging routine sounds about right, measure the amount of movement at the valve end of the rocker, it should be the same for all the intakes and the same for all the exhaust.  I doubt it will be the same from intake to exhaust.  I don't know stock IH cam #'s, but you could figure out what to expect by multiplying by 1.5, the rocker arm ratio IIRC.
   The valves are pretty tough, I wouldn't think you'd have to replace them unless they are bent.  I had my heads three angled and cleaned up for $180, not bad I thought.
   If I had to bet, I'd guess lifters. It might be time for a complete new setup, cam, lifters, push rods, timing gears.  You could get a little more HP out of it.  I can't resist teasing you like that, I know how you think. <vbg>
---
Layda,
Tark '77 Terra 345/T19/D20
   Survivor of '98 Scout Nationals