Speakers

Hmm.. I was writing a FAQ on this a while ago... why didn't I finish it?  ;)

My '77 Scout II currently sports:

6x9 Alpine 3-ways in square (rectangle) boxes, jammed in the "Y" of the
rollbar and the rear seat armrests.  They work.  I noticed that my cheapie
$20 6x9s sounded as good or better than the Alpines - when put in a wedge
shaped box.  Unfortunately, the wedges don't fit in the "Y" of the rollbar legs.

6.5" Pioneer 3-ways, mounted in wedge boxes.  Today, they are attached to
some steel slotted angle.  another piece of angle is mounted to the
bedrails, inside of the soft-top.  The speaker is then attached to the rail
on the bedrail, and they're held in place.  They also sorta rest on the top
of the rear bench seat.  This gets the speakers up, above the seat, but low,
not a wind trap, and fairly supported.  Also, backseat passengers can hear
it, without the speakers being directly in their way.

Unfotunately, I have to rethink this today or tomorrow when I put the
hardtop back on... the fiberglass inserts won't allow this to work.. :-(

I recently added two 8" MTX subs in "truck" boxes behind the rear bench.
This is NOT how I wanted to do it - space is very important to me (I usually
can't haul anything because I have alll of my tools and recovery gear in the
Scout!).. BUT, the speakers, boxes, and 30w-x-2 amp were given to me, and
they really did help the bottom end of the stereo.. :-)

I can't recommend mounting to the rollbar at this point... it'll become a
nusiance to passengers (if mounted between the rear leg and bench seat..
BTDT) or it's a headache waiting to happen (mounted in corners) that won't
give good sound anyhow (too far above ya)... think what happens if you slam
into a tree at 65mph and those speakers break loose....

Speaker mounting issues have been on my mind since I started "designing" my
frame-up... I've added an additional rear hoop to the cage design, at the
tailgate, primarily for the purpose of mounting speakers.  :-)  That far
back, I can weld mounts to the cage that'll keep the speakers fairly high,
put angled such that I'll actually hear 'em.  No one sits back that far, so
it won't damage heads too often... and weld the brackets on well enough, and
they speakers shouldn't be missiles.

Another Scouter (James) gave me the idea for some 4" mids in the kick
panels.. dunno if larger would fit.  Doors would be a decent spot, but I
fully intend on removing the doors from time to time...

Tweeters get flush mounted to the front hoop of the 'cage, or at the corners
of the windshield frame.

Sub in the seat base (which is now being designed as part of the 'cage as well)

When I do the 6x9s in the "Y" of the rollbar, I think I'll cut the inner
fender in a square (or shape of the speaker box.. maybe I can get some wedge
boxes in there at an angle, firing forward)... might work if you just cut in
from the corners of your "square" and then fold the sheet metal back.. the
idea being to make a recessed cavity for the speaker *box* to slide into
(vs. just cutting a hole and mounting the speaker to the sheet metal).
Should yield better sound.. and maybe a nicer cut in the metal.

Mark Korsten swapped Fiero bucket seats into his Scout, with integral
speakers in the headrest!

But for now, I have to figure out how to mount my 6.5s just above the rear
bench seat, without attaching to the hardtop/bedrail... now that I have a
welder, this might not be so difficult ('cept I need an extension cord, or I
have to negotiate my backyard to get the Scout to the back door of the
garage so the welding leads reach)

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs