Re: Digesting the Digest -To Tom M

>>just like a bad joke at a party... the room gets deadly quiet, everyone
>stares at you, and you'd love to be six inches
>>and sink into the floor.
>
>Very true, however on the "Net" this joke would be in "Print", archived, and
>seen many more times than the joke at a party....................

True.  I guess that calls for more caution before "open mouth, insert foot" :-)

>SSS receives (as does GUS) orders and inquires from PCs 24 hours a day - 7
>days a week - 365 days a years - from our FAX machine!! Why is this Tech not
>available to everyone with a PC?   Anyway until we get a good computor at the
>shop (which is soon) the Fax machine seems to work just fine.

Not quite the same thing, John.

To send a fax, most folks would need to log off the Internet (where they're
looking at the prices), bring up a word processor, type up the order, then
MAKE A PHONE CALL to send the fax.  Granted, long distance isn't that bad
any more.. but long distance vs. no-charge for your local ISP is still a
"hurdle" to overcome.

As for me... I don't use a modem to dial up to the Internet.  I'm wired
direct. :-)  I would have to BUY another modem to send a fax.  ;)

The ideal system, IMO, would be a full-blown inventory system.

When you get a shipment of rollbars in, you'd go to the computer, punch in
"12 Scout II Rollbars" (or whatever), and it'd get added to the database...
the *same* database your customers get to review.  When I inquire on a Scout
II Rollbar for pricing, it'd show me a price, a description, picture.. and
perhaps how many are in stock (or a simple "Not in Stock" and "Ready to
Ship").  When I place an order, it would "remove" one of those rollbars from
the available stock... maybe the next person to hit the webpage tries for a
rollbar and gets a "Not in Stock - Next Shipment 9/30/98" or something..

That's the ideal.  I doubt we'll see that any time soon.. I'd like to write
something like that and send it to you, John... but my time seems to be more
occupied with wrenching on the Scout at the moment. :-)  (gotta get ready
for winter and hunting season)

-Tom