Re: 'nother sad day...., and questions

>I am talking about turning the a/c compressor into an air compressor,
>kinda like you did.  So, I guess I/we are talking about compressed air.
>I don't really ever plan on using it while I am driving, just when I am
>idling, or on the highway, when I can switch it on and off.

IMO, as an air compressor (to run tools, air tires up, etc) the 152/196
should be just fine.  Since my air system leaks, I've never had it running
continously while driving (that is, it doesn't keep the system charged...
which would be ideal - let it charge up a big tank while you're cruising
down the interstate at 70mph).  When I needed air, I'd stop, put it in
Neutral, let the motor idle, and flip the switch.

One big addition was my manual choke (hand throttle woulda been better if
I'd ever finished it)... the choke on my 196 would let me pull a little ways
and get ONLY the fast-idle.. pull farther, and I'd get the butterfly.
Bumping the idle up made the compressor put more air out...

I'd air a 33x12.50 from 20psi to 32psi in about 60 seconds.  My 31x10.50s
would go from 15 to 35psi in about 60 seconds.

(I haven't had a real reason to go lower than 20 or 25psi yet... winter
isn't here (yet))

>out with v8's until the 800A was introduced.....  So who knows what kind
>of holes will be in the side of my block that I can use.

Actually, I think the holes for the mount are in the *head*... while the 152
block may be somewhat different from the 304 block (other than missing half,
I don't think it *is* any different) the heads would be the same.

Remember the 304 was (probably) being used with air conditioniong in light
line trucks (pickup/T'all) in the 60s...

>> Now, you may need to chisel some 20yr old crud out of the AC mounting
holes....

>My Scout is a '66.  That would be _32_ year old crud.  Sheesh, I can tell
>that you went to Penn State for a while.  (You did go there right, or am I
>just getting old and forgetful?*grin*)

Yeah, I went to Penn State... but I said 20 years because I figured at SOME
point it must've rained on your motor, or someone crashed a big enough mud
hole to splash enough water to momentarily clean the threads out a *little* bit.

:-)

-Tom