Water Pumps

Please stop the discussion the Nationals, I'm really wanted to go and all of
these details are telling me that I missed a lot! ;-)  If the discussion
about going to Alaska continues, I may have to quit reading the digest
before you return if I'm not able to tag along on that trip.

My water pump ['76 SII V345A] is leaking, apparently from around the shaft
although I haven't disassembled anything yet.  Some options:
        1. Replace the pump with the one on my parts truck.
        2. Replace the pump w/ new or rebuilt pump.
        3. Rebuild the pump.

My first choice would to replace the leaky seal and/or rebuild the pump.
Looking at the service manual, it appears that a press is required to do
this and I haven't built one yet.  Is a press required?

Instead of replacing the whole pump, it looks like I could replace just the
water pump assembly according to the parts breakdown in Fig 12-040 of the
parts manual - if this is still available as described.  I don't know if
there is any real advantage but this might be possible without removing the
pump from the engine.  Having read the FAQ, I suspect I'd have to replace
the water pipes etc.  Just messing with the pump on the engine may be enough
to compromise these pipes and o-ring seals so I should deal with them now
while I have the chance to do it right.

I don't know why I hesitate to take the pump off the parts truck other than
the engine is complete and in good running condition.  The body on the other
hand is shot and I never intend to drive it as it is.  It's a very ugly
truck but not a safe one.  I've been comforted with the knowledge that I
could "just" swap engines if I ever need and hopefully having everything
work ok with minimum hassle.  But what good is a parts truck if it isn't
treated as such?

OK, what do you think?

Mike
J. Michael Daugherty