Major leak

Willy,

>I walked around the Scout that some power steering fluid had leaked out
>of the hose coupling. This is the first time I have seen my PS hose
>leak, add it to list.

Let me tell you what I think I've found out about PS hoses after several
weeks of part-time looking around. The hoses I've been getting from
Carquest don't seem to be very well made. Somebody said they had gotten a
more expensive hose from Whisler Bearing in Colorado. I found that they
sell Aeroquip hoses. I can't find a local Aeroquip dealer who will admit
to being able to find my hose in his book. Haven't called Whisler, but
probably will.

>Went ahead with the solenoid install, went well, turned the key and the
>truck started just fine. After a few seconds (15-20)
>I turned the truck off.....and heard some thing pouring onto the
>driveway. First thought was that the PS hose had given in,
>no such luck... that's motor oil pouring out of the front of the
>tranny/rear of the engine.
>Rear Main seal? that's my thought but if anyone can think of something
>less sinister please let me know.

Not that my not being able to imagine it, means much, but I can't imagine
a rear main seal giving out so massively so quickly. I picture the seal
getting hard and losing its flexibility and no longer "wiping" the crank
as well, but unless a piece broke out of it, it doesn't seem to me that
it should just start massively leaking. I'd be really sure it isn't
something else before I went after that seal.

Hope it goes well, whatever it is.

John H.