Re: Major leak

John Hofstetter wrote:
> Let me tell you what I think I've found out about PS hoses after several
> weeks of part-time looking around. The hoses I've been getting from
> Carquest don't seem to be very well made. Somebody said they had gotten a
> more expensive hose from Whisler Bearing in Colorado. I found that they
> sell Aeroquip hoses. I can't find a local Aeroquip dealer who will admit
> to being able to find my hose in his book. Haven't called Whisler, but
> probably will.
>
> John H.
John, et. al:

When I had my PS hose problems recently, I took about ten days to find
the guy, but found a place that uses AEROQUIP and custom fits the hoses
at his shop.  I had an old style that had two similar ends-instead of a
"female" and "male," which I had a hard time finding.  The guys at
Anything Scout found one on my thrid trip over, so I guess it must have
been a weird combo (like everything else on my '68 T'all!).  Anyway,
even when they found the useable used one, it was too short and thus,
unusable!  When I went into this guy he had one with two similar ends in
the display box!!!  When I showed him mine and told him how long it
needed to be, he said he could make one up and asked if it had to be
identical.  I said, "No," and he said, "Good, I can make it easier and
save you money."  He put two ends on a length of hose that were both
tightening bolts around a rounded (ball-bearing looking) end.  The
rounded end, of course, had a hole in it through which the fluid passed,
and it didn't "roll" but sitting in the fitting it looked like a bearing
in a sleeve.  Anyway, this worked great, as you didn't have to get the
flanged ends of the hose lined up just perfectly with the inner rim of
the pump fitting itself, but just snugged it up and the roundness of the
"ball" formed a seal with the pump.  Also, because of its style, the
ends turned freely, thus making it easy to screw in at any angle.  The
old one had two very different bends, and because of the stiffness of
the hose, made it very difficult to get lined up and cinched down right!
I have had mine on for about three months now, and it is working great.
I cannot, of course, vouch that it will last thirty years, but it was
the only guy I could find and was a much easier hose to mount.
If anyone needs a hose, let me know what you've got and I can go ask the
guy, or e-mail me off-digest and I'll give out his number.  He is in San
Leandro, CA, near Oakland.

Michael