Re: TowingQuestion

alice@domain.elided wrote:
>   Was the pickup slow to auto turn by the nature of the
> towbar (it was a proper rental unit)?  Could I have changed the front
> tire pressure to help matters (and would I increase or decrease
> pressure)?  Puzzled.  Mark

Mark-
Pardon me for responding with no answer, but was this truly a tow-bar?
Or was it a dolly of some sort?  I can never seem to find just the
simple bar anywhere anymore, and have asked frequently.  I have actually
stopped asking, because one U-haul guy told me they were not being used
anymore because they were deemed "dangerous" or something.  Does anyone
know about this?  I am thinking about going to pick up a new Scout body
in about two weeks, and this information would be very helpful to me.
BTW, any input on this idea would be appreciated:  I will be towing
either a '70 800 Scout or a '74 Scout II that has a LOT of lift under it
with my '68 4x4 T'all-w/345.  What would everyone recommend as best
towing procedure?  I have towed ton's o' trailers and cars on occasion,
but never one of these IH's that weigh so much.  Of course, I doubt
either of them can weigh as much as my slag heap of a T'all, but will a
full car carrier be easier than a front wheel dolly?  Vs. a towbar if I
can find one?
I will be driving about 500 miles to get it, then coming back.  They
don't like to rent the dollies local for more than a day around here,
and I don't like to pay considerably more for the one-way fee.
Any suggestions?  BTW, neither of them are "runners" so driving one back
is not an option.

Thanks!

Michael