Lifters 101!

Rik,

        The first thing to check upon startup of an engine with new lifters OR
pushrods OR cam OR rockers OR valves, etc. etc, is that the pushrods TURN while
the engine is runing.  If they don't turn, it means that the lifter is 'stuck'
in the hole, and will have poor lubrication, and will wear grooves like you see.
 With the valve covers off, you should let the engine idle, and turn the
pushrods with your hand to see if they have a natural tendency to turn one
direction over the other.  I fixed a bent pushrod in my '74 last week, and this
is key!  Half of the time, they get bent from not turning.  Lube the bajeezus
out of everything upon assembly (I use 30 wt, since that's what's in the squirt
bottle) and lube the rocker shaft, pushrod tops, etc.  I hope this helps, and if
it sounds like a commandment, I never meant it to, I apologize in advance.

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727 RE8000, Cibie40s, custom
                rear tire rack, 6 different color body panels.
                Not much sport, all utility.
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727 Hummer brush guard,
                3/4T rear springs, Hella Rallye 2000s, Con-Ferr 5x7,
                Class IV hitches front and rear, 3" Exhaust.
                1st Place, Rocky Mountain IH Rendezvous,
                3rd Place, Tulare IH Western Regionals.
         '74 IHC Travelall 150? 2wd 392/tf727 "The 'new' one"
                Factory AM/FM, Cruise, Tilt, AC, Captains Chairs,
                Rblt, Alt, carb, fuel pump, ps pump, water pump, dash,
                seats, rear door, starter, what could be left?