John H's 80% theory, debunked for all.

John,

        When I was in Tulare, I got the original owners' manual for my 75
travelall 4x4.  In this book, it specifically recommends that you routinely
drive the engine at redline, but never to exceed it.  It sounds like IH designed
their redlines, to be the maximum operating range, and not the maximum yield for
engine internals.  From reading a manual from a '73 it said the same thing.  Of
course, they recommend the 'maximum operating speed' of the 392 as 3400 rpm, far
lower than the 4000 for the 304.  I imagine it's like tractors, made to run at
full throttle all day, but WOT on a tractor engine is certainly not anything
very fast.  I'll check the manual again, but I'm pretty sure that it says to run
the engine at max range on a regular basis, as these engines are designed to run
like that.

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727 RE8000, Cibie40s, custom
                rear tire rack, 6 different color body panels.
                Not much sport, all utility.
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727 Hummer brush guard,
                3/4T rear springs, Hella Rallye 2000s, Con-Ferr 5x7,
                Class IV hitches front and rear, 3" Exhaust.
                1st Place, Rocky Mountain IH Rendezvous,
                3rd Place, Tulare IH Western Regionals.
         '74 IHC Travelall 150? 2wd 392/tf727 "The 'new' one"
                Factory AM/FM, Cruise, Tilt, AC, Captains Chairs.