Re: ihc-digest V6 #104

On P/S hoses - I've heard that the fluid can easily cause engine fires.  I
got one for my t'all last year to replace the leaky original, and I think
that it was custom made by whistler bearing or somebody like that. I can't
remember for sure, but I do remember that it cost $50.

Curt, you took the Feynmen diagrams off the side of your Travellall!  Ah
well.  I've heard that after 10+ years of drying in the sun that the 3M
glue remover products don't work very well, instead you need to grind it
off.  3M, and others do sell open cell grinding disks just for these
pleasureable tasks...John L mentioned MEK - be careful with it (very
poisonous and combustible), there are some other options that work better -
they are gel-based and so don't evaporate so quickly and work longer, and
are less poisonous & flammable.  I can't remember what they consist of, but
good auto paint places usually carry it.  I can get you a name of a
Colorado based company that carries this stuff along with a compound name
later today.

On axle rebuilds, the 304/3.73/T-19 Close/32" tire/Dana300 seems to be a
good all-around compromise if you want to go off-road some and commute a
lot.  The mountains around here (CO) require a little more gearing, and I
get about 15 mpg @ 75 mph every day.  This combo gives it enough power to
still be fun to drive on the road.  I'm pretty sure that if I was running
3.54s or could just do 60 mph I'd get better mileage (I measured it several
times, but wasn't accurate enough to be positive).  Of course the 345/392
would allow you to go even taller, or an overdrive tranny would allow you
to go lower.

BTW, what a pleasure to see my solenoid questions answered before I even
could ask them.  Good job you guys!

Lastly, any of you folks take a look at the newer programmable
speedometers?  VDO sells some that aren't very expensive, and you can set
the speedometer ratio with a little button on the gauge rather than get a
$75+ converter for the cable/xfer case.  I'm way behind schedule, and have
pushed my dashboard rebuild out, but this speedometer replacement looks
like a good deal.

Ken Farmer
1980 Scout II - used MEK, Ethelyne Chloride, scrubby pads, Hitachi 4.5"
grinder, scrapers, wire wheels, etc to remove 3M Underseal and POR-15
1974 Travelall waiting for Curt to come up with a good decal removal
solution. I like the white panel, but will paint it on this time.
1975 Travelall