Re: Let the Troubleshooting Begin!

On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Darrel Kline wrote:

> Hey you weren't reading our ignition tread close enough. :-)
> If you decrease the resistance, current will increase, spark energy will go
> up, misfires will go down, and RPMs will increase....in theory anyway.
> Actually I think the problem maybe with your clutch adjustment/throwout
> bearing.

Right you are, Darrel!  On my way home from work, I thought I noticed the
throttle pedal moving up (let off gas) when I would let the clutch out..
closer inspection tonight revealed that, since I blew the bushings on the
clutch pivot while putting the 304 in, the clutch rod doesn't travel
straight up and down, but now deflects into the gas pedal.. time for
another set of new bushings.

> You're using the Holley 2300, right?  With the 3cc pump you should adjust

30cc, right?

> the accelerator so that there's zero clearance between the cam and the pump
> lever. At WOT you should have between .015 and .020 inch *additional*
> movement between the lever and the adjusting screw.

Hmm.. OK, I know where the pump is, and there is an adjustment.  I see a
spring loaded screw.. holds two levers (one on either end).  I can adjust
the gap between the two.  Adjusting a lot in either direction made things
worse.. I did manage to make it a little bit better (I think).. but
something's still not quite right.

Looking through my Holley Hi-Po book.. I see several different cams are
available for the accelerator pump.. do I want to experiment with a
faster acting cam?

> sluggish. Try 10-15 degrees.

16degrees when the shop set the timing (2.5 years ago!.

> About a thousand different things can cause this. A couple of less obvious
> problems:  Make sure the carb isn't dripping fuel into the engine after you
> shut it off. Also check the polarity of the ignition system...make sure the
> spark isn't weak.

I rigged the choke tonight.. we'll see how it does in the morning.  It
confused me that I ran w/ the choke propped open before for a month, same
carb, same tuneup, and it ran.  Granted, warmups were a little slow and
choppy,but I could start it.. I've been unable thus far to start the 304
w/o starter fluid when it's cold.  See how the choke does in the AM.

> Some type of ignition module...sounds like aftermarket.

Hmm... now I MUST figure this out! :)

Thanks, Darrel.

-Tom