Re: FrontWheelNuts

alice@domain.elided wrote:

> Scout2 front axles ends.  There are large hex nuts, a number of
> different washer styles and a "hex key lockable type of locking nut
> with round outside".  I want to make sure my front wheels do not fall
> off.  It seems impossible to peen over the largest locking washer (no
> room).  Which type of locking do I use: large tabbed washer, small
> tabbed washer or small swiss-cheese washer?  Seems the auto-lock hub
> style unscrews the locking outer large hex nut and the wheel wobbles.
> I can drive about two miles before this is a problem but it is a bit
> of a pain to remember retightening the nuts every time I move it.
> How are your front wheels (4WD) held on?  Mark
Mark,
 I replaced all of the front wheel bearings/seals on my Travelall a
couple of weeks ago, and ran into some of the same questions. The
Travelall had the Lock-o-Matic hubs, with the swiss-cheese washers
and the round outer nut with hex bolts that screw into the swiss-cheese
washer. I didn't know how to torque down the round outer nut. I also
managed to mangle one of the washers while removing it, and couldn't
find a replacement (Federal Valley had them on order, but it was
going to be a while before they got them). I decided to convert to
manual hubs, with the manual style outer hex nut and bend-over type
washer (I used a big screwdriver to bend the washer over). Since the
Lock-o-Matic hubs won't fit over the outer hex nut, I removed the guts
of the hub, and put the empty hub body on until I get some manual hubs
(actually, I'm going to put a Warn wheel hub conversion on the Scout,
and steal the Scout's manual hubs for the Travelall). Hope this helps.

later,         curt_cleavinger@domain.elided  Louisville, CO
  Curt         Binder Bunch: http://www.off-road.com/~jweed/binder.htm
 [/>/]             [\<\] '75 Scout II     '75 Travelall 150