Re: Sunday adventure

>turn my steering wheel and there was smoke pouring out from under the
>hood. The power steering hose which is about a year old had broken out >and
getting on the windshield. Imagine, if you will, your trusty Scout
>windshield wipers trying to deal with a mixture of oil and water in an
>almost blinding rain storm.  Lots of lessons to be learned from this

Gee, John.. not much different than my experience at 3:30 this morning...

Fired up the 304.. had it running.  Added p/s fluid (I drained it, then
added my cooler)... filled 'er up (maybe a little too full)

Idling it was fun.

Climb in the driver's seat to head to the gas station for oil and fuel...
punch the throttle, and it started raining!

Now, the hood is still leaning against the side of my garage...

Straight from the high pressure p/s hose to the windshield... yuck.

On top of that, I couldn't shift... well, I could shift, but it didn't go
anywhere when I put it in gear... Dang, I thought.  Shut 'er down... unhook
the p/s belt, and start poking around at the clutch... removed the
inspection cover to see if maybe the throwout collar had come uncoupled or
something.... then I remembered, "OH yeah.. I put the Dana 20 in NEUTRAL so
I could row the gears and move the input shaft!"  *smack*

Fire it back up, rumble rumble rumble.. clack clack clak (only had 4 quarts
of Quaker handy)... Armstrong steering isn't all that bad.. even w/
33x12.50s... but man does p/s fluid smoke for a LONG time... still smoking
this morning on my way to work...

-Tom